F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: A Guide
Arguably the biggest sporting event in the UAE, the F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is one event not to be missed. The 3-day Etihad Airways-sponsored event attracts around 60,000 fans and includes a free city-wide entertainment festival. It’s also a big betting day, and those who are looking to get their bets in for it should clue themselves up on the history of the race, especially the rivalry between the winners on this particular track, as well as different bookmakers at which to place bets.
Back to the Beginning
The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix history only stretches as far back as 2007 when it was announced that the festival would take place in the United Arab Emirates, with the first race being held on 1 November 2009 at the Yas Marina Circuit. This became Formula One’s first ever day-night race, with the circuit illuminated by floodlights to make the transition from day to night easier for the drivers. Before being hosted in Abu Dhabi, the Grand Prix was hosted in other cities and set the stage for some of the worst crashes.
The event has nowadays grown to include a comprehensive festival with entertainment, music, art, the F1 FanZone with race simulations, concerts, food and more. Tickets to the Grand Prix sell fast so grab them quickly. It is also a big betting day in the world of online sports betting and bookmakers will be publishing odds in the leadup to the event. Read our Formula 1 Preview for a basis before the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
How to Win Your Bets
Formula One is the crowning glory of motorsports and many people consider betting on F1 racing to be a niche market. There is a whole range of markets available when betting on a Formula One Grand Prix and it’s important to really dig into all the markets and options available before you begin placing bets. But most importantly, you need to take into account the conditions, stats, previews, past winners and history of the race.
F1 is a largely data-driven sport, which means that the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix odds will take into account small details that may impact a driver’s performance. Some important details to know include:
- Stats and the race favourites
- The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix winners
- Competition between the favourites
- The weather, which can impact the outcome of races
- Grid position and lap times could also have a significant impact on the outcome of the race
If you have a bit of insight on these things, based on the results from previous years, you’ll have a better chance of winning your bets.
Many people see F1 racing as quite predictable, probably due to the advanced technology of the machinery, but you just need to look back at a few big surprises to see that it is not so cut and dry and there are some worthwhile betting profits to be made. Don’t take anything for granted and don’t believe any sureties you hear either. Always take into account past successes, the current season and weather conditions to help you make an overall informed decision.
Who are Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Famous Winners?
The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is one of the most exciting races of the year and the rivalry between the top contenders just adds to that excitement. It’s also important to understand this rivalry if you plan to bet on the event. Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg were Mercedes teammates, with plenty of rivalry both on and off the track.
Lewis Hamilton, racing for the Mercedes AMG Petronas team, won the F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in 2011, 2014 and 2016, and looks to hold on to his trophy in 2017. He won his first World Championship title in 2008 with McLaren, and with the four prestigious titles, he is one of the most successful F1 drivers.
Nico Rosberg, known as a stark rival of Lewis Hamilton, also raced for Mercedes AMG Petronas and finished second to Hamilton in the World Championship in both 2014 and 2015. Before racing for Mercedes he was with Williams F1.
This rivalry impacted racing odds in past years; however, since Rosberg announced his retirement after finishing second to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi in 2016, Hamilton will have a new rival.
Sebastian Vettel, part of the Red Bull Renault team, is another strong contender, who’s won the race in 2009, 2010 and 2013.
Of course, there’s no guarantee each year, but looking back at:
- The tracks that each driver tends to win
- The weather conditions that they perform best in
- How they have been performing during the season leading up to the race
...all give hints as to how the driver may perform on the day of the race itself. With Abu Dhabi culminating the season, it’s possible to look back at each driver’s performance leading up to the event, giving you a much better idea of how they’re coming into this race. Do your homework to get a feel for the drivers.
The Best Abu Dhabi Betting Tips and Odds Around
There’s plenty of hype leading up to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and betting sites get in on the action with plenty of information and a wide range of markets.
- Understanding the history of the race, how it works and some of its famous past winners will go a long way to helping you find the best odds and choosing the right bookmaker for you.
- Many bookmakers will focus on the rivalry between the 2 top contenders and this will be reflected in the odds, but make sure to keep your eye out for other drivers as there are commonly other contenders that have a shot at being a winner. This can be seen in past years with the rivalry between Hamilton and Rosberg where the odds from bookmakers reflected the fact that there was not a lot between the two. However, Vettel was not a driver to be discounted and was certainly worth taking into account when deciding which bets to place. Now that Rosberg has retired, the odds will reflect the new rivalry between Hamilton and Vettel.
- It’s always a good idea to open an account with a number of online bookmakers in the leadup to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. This will allow you to keep an eye on the leadup to the event and the odds that are being offered by each betting site. In this way, you will be able to get the best possible price on your favourite.
The eyes of the world will be on Abu Dhabi for the big event and you’re sure to be able to find great odds if you keep a lookout. Make sure to check out our reviews of different bookmakers before you place your bets.